UFC FIGHT NIGHT: Johnson vs. Reis
Sprint Centre | Kansas City, Missouri
Saturday, April 15, 2017
The early prelims started out with a ladies fight that went to decision. The second fight Nathan Coy vs. Zak Cummings ended at 4:21 of the first round with Cummings reversing a take down by Coy and putting him a Guillotine submission! We think the referee did a terrible job as Coy tapped out twice and then went limp! Take a look at the fight to see if you agree. Another knockout came late in the third round of the fight between Andrew Sanchez vs. Anthony Smith. That was definitely a fight that took a turn in the last round. Another knock out came during the fight between Tom Duquesnoy and Patrick Williams at 0:28 of Round 2. Who can forget the TKO in the fight between Ronaldo Souza and Robert Whittaker. You definitely won’t see the winner of this fight coming. The ladies fight between Rose Namajunas and Michelle Waterson was intense! It lead to a Rear Naked Choke Submission at 2:47 of Round 2! The main fight between Demetrious Johnson and Wilson Reis also ends in an Arm Bar Submission ending the fight off with a bang. The other fights went to the judges for decision. Read the rest of our blog to see the winners of these decisions as well as the winner of the main fight of the evening.
Overall, this card averaged a score of 3.46/5 therefore giving the card a rating of 4/5.
Until next time, Stay Tuned, Stay Focused. Good Night till the Next Fight.
Fighting out of the BLUE CORNER and fighting out of the RED CORNER
Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson (Washington, USA) 25 – 2 – 1 VS Wilson Reis (California, USA) 22 – 6 – 0 – For Flyweight Title
- ROUND 1 – Here we go! The Main Fight of the evening. Both fighter starting by feeling each other out. A lot of fakes, trying to steer the other the wrong way. So far, Reis being the more aggressive fighter and stalking down Johnson. Reis takes down Johnson with a double leg takedown however Johnson gets up quick. Johnson seems to be landing a lot of leg kicks. Less than a minute to go. Reis tries to take down Johnson however doesn’t quite manage. Less than 30 seconds. Reis has been pushing the pace however Johnson has been landing more strikes, therefore we give this round to Johnson.
- ROUND 2 – Round 2 starts, Johnson attempts a takedown, doesn’t get it as Reis defends very well. This is becoming a stand up fight. 2 minutes left in the second round. Reis is stalking Johnson like he did in the first round however Johnson is still landing more strikes. 30 seconds to go. We give this round to Johnson once again.
- ROUND 3 – The start of Round 3, Reis is coming out more aggressive than in the last two rounds. Johnson hits Reis with a good body kick followed by a good stiff jab. With two minutes left in the round, Johnson take Reis down. Both fighters are battling to enhance their positions. Johnson landing some elbows to Reis’ head. The elbow causing a cut to Reis head. Johnson changes his position and attempts an arm bar submission which he gets. Reis taps out. Demetrious Johnson wins by Arm Bar Submission at 4:49 of Round 3. Leaving him to remain champion of the Flyweight Division. Fight Rate: 4/5
Rose “Thug” Namajunas (Colorado, USA) 5 – 3 – 0 VS Michelle “The Karate Hottie” Waterson (New Mexico, USA) 14 – 4 – 0 Strawweight
- ROUND 1 – Waterson start off with a head kick and a leg kick. She then takes Namajunas down with a hip toss looking for a submission. Namajunas escapes and takes Waterson’s back in a full nelson. Waterton escapes and Namajunas is now on top of Waterson. Waterson attempting a submission however it doesn’t take. Namajunas landing some elbows to Waterson as she’s still down. Waterson escapes the pressure and stands up. Both ladies are back in the middle of the Octagon. Namajunas takes Waterson down once again. The round ends, we give it to Namajunas for her take downs and controlling majority of the round.
- ROUND 2 – Round 2 starts with both fighters landing strikes. Namajunas lands a huge leg kick that drops Waterson. Namajunas comes on top and is raining down punches and elbows. The referee is watching closely as Waterson survives the flurry. Namajunas still has Waterson pinned against the cage. Waterson looks to escape however Namajunas has her back and is looking for a submission. She gets it! Rose Namajunas wins by Rear Naked Choke Submission at 2:47 of Round 2. Fight Rate: 4/5
Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza (Rio De Janeiro, Brazil) 24 – 4 – 0 VS Robert “The Reaper” Whittaker (Sydney, Australia) 17 – 4 – 0 Middleweight
- ROUND 1 – Fight starts out with both fighters feeling each other out. Souza has Whittaker against the cage with a minute thirty into the first round. Bad spot to be in for Whittaker as this is how Souza wins his fights. Souza takes Whittaker down however Whittaker gets back up quick. So far in this round, Whittaker is landing more strikes. We have a minute to go. 30 seconds. We give this round to Whittaker for landing more strikes and being more effective with his striking.
- ROUND 2 – Whitaker lands a big punch that drops Souza! Whittaker then drops onto Souza however quickly gets back up before Souza secured a submission. Smart move on Whittaker’s part. A nice uppercut by Whittaker followed by a head kick and then a nice hook. Whittaker is ramping up his game for sure. A head kick by Whittaker that drops Souza, followed by a flurry of punches and elbows. The referee breaks up the fight! The fight is over! A huge upset victory by Whittaker. Robert Whittaker wins by TKO at 3:28 of Round 2. Fight Rate: 4/5
Renato Moicano (Brasilla, Brazil) 10 – 0 – 1 VS Jeremy “Lil Heathen” Stephens (California, USA) 25 – 13 – 0 Featherweight
- ROUND 1 – Both fighters come out trading leg kicks. Two minutes gone in the round and not much activity besides the exchanges of leg kicks. Stephens with a big right hand, that makes Moicano back up and retreat. Moicano with the take down and is now on top landing some body shots as Stephens looks for an arm bar submission. 30 seconds to go. End of the round. We will give the round to Moicano for the take down and for controlling the fight for majority of the round.
- ROUND 2 – This round starts off the same way with leg kicks. Stephens attempting a take down however doesn’t get it. Moicano with a nice hook to back Stephens up. So far, Stephens is being the more aggressive fighter this round. Moicano’s accuracy of his strikes seem to have approved this round however Stephens is still controlling the round. Less than a minute to go. We give this round to Stephens for pushing the action.
- ROUND 3 – Round 3 begins, both fights have punches swinging. Moicano is coming out more aggressive and secures a take down. Stephens get backs up however right then gets a big right hook by Moicano. Both fighters are now standing and trading strikes. Stephens is now stalking Moicano, chasing him around the ring. Stephens is starting to push the pace and control the round. Stephens seems to be the more aggressive striker while Moicano is the counter striker. Less than a minute to go. The momentum has definitely shifted. We give the round and fight to Stephens 29-28. Judges decision once again. 29-28 Moicano, 29-28 Stephens, 29-28 for the winner by split decision Renato Moicano! The crowd boos once again, Didn’t see that coming. Fight Rate: 3/5
Roy “Big Country” Nelson (Nevada, USA) 22 – 13 – 0 VS Alexander “Drago” Volkov (Moscow, Russia) 27 – 6 – 0
- ROUND 1 – What a height and size difference between these two fighters! Volkov at 6’7 vs. Nelson at 6’1! Volkov looks like he’s just towering over Nelson. Volkov starts off the fight with a big kick to Nelson’s body. Nelson then pins Volkov against the cage. Volkov reverses it and now has Nelson pinned against the cage. Nelson then manages to take Volkov down. Both fighters battling for position. 30 seconds to go in the first round. The referee stands both fighters up as Volkov comes out with a strong finish landing knees and punches to Nelson. Nelson counters a few however with the round ending, we give the round to Nelson for controlling majority of the round.
- ROUND 2 – Nelson starts the round off by pinning Volkov against the cage once again. Volkov gets out and both fighters are in the centre of the Octagon. Nelson attempts a take down once again however is unsuccessful this time around. Volkov is doing a good job at keeping the distance and striking Nelson. A minute to go. 30 seconds to go. We give this round to Volkov for landing more strikes.
- ROUND 3 – Nelson starting out looking for a knock out. Volkov pins Nelson against the cage, lands a few good combos and then both fighters are back to the centre of the Octagon. Volkov with back to back front kicks. Two minutes to go in the last round. So far Volkov is winning this round based on effective striking, A nice knee to Nelson’s body by Volkov. That may just seal the fight for him with less than a minute to go. The round ends, we give this round and fight to Volkov 29-28. All three judges score the fight 30-27, for the winner by unanimous decision Alexander Volkov! And the crowd is booing. Yikes. Fight Rate: 3/5
Tom “Fire Kid” Duquesnoy (Paris, France) 14 – 1 – 0 VS Patrick “The Animal” Williams (Florida, USA) 8 – 4 – 0
Fun Fact! This is Tom Duquesnoy’s UFC Debut!
- ROUND 1 – Took him a minute however Williams finally took Duquesnoy down. Duquesnoy however defending well and gets back up. Both fighters are exchanging strikes. Willams takes Duquesnoy down again. Duquesnoy did a good job getting back up and keeping the fight standing. A nice uppercut by Duquesnoy drops Williams. Followed by an elbow and a knee! Less than a minute to go in the round. Duquesnoy is really putting on the pressure now. Williams is sucking wind. Duquesnoy with a nice knee. He is definitely dominating this round. 30 seconds to go. An upper cut by Duquesnoy! Williams is putting his hands on his knees as he’s tiring out quick. Duquesnoy puts Williams against the cage. He lands three elbows, the second dropping Williams, just as the horn ends the round! We give that round to Duquesnoy.
- ROUND 2 – Williams comes out very aggressive, not a smart move as he’s already exhausted. Duquesnoy lands an elbow to the side of Willams head that drops Williams. The Referee comes in and stops the fight. What an excellent UFC Debut for Duquesnoy. Tom Duquesnoy wins by TKO at 0:28 of Round 2. Fight Rate: 4/5
Bobby “King” Green (California, USA) 23 – 7 – 0 VS Rashid “Goretz” Magomedov (Dagestan, Russia) 19 – 2 – Lightweight
- ROUND 1 – Green with leg kick starting off the round. Green has Magomedov pinned against the cage landing some knee strikes. However he receives a low blow by Magomedov causing him to take a time out. Less than two minutes to go, both fighters exchanging strikes however nothing of significance. Green has Magomedov against the cage with less than a minute to go. The round ends and we give this slight advantage to Green as there really wasn’t much action.
- ROUND 2 – Two minutes into the first round. Both fighters are trying to get something going but aren’t having much luck. An eye poke by Magomedov cuts Green on the side of the eye. A quick time out and the fight is back on. Green coming out more aggressive. Green attempting a take down however instead pins Magomedov up against the cage. Less than 30 seconds to go. We give this round to Magomedov for more strikes and contact.
- ROUND 3 – Magomedov is starting to take control of this round. With two minutes left in the round, there hasn’t been much action. Looks like another fight that will go to the judges to decide unless someone can get a Submission or a Knock Out. Green with a low blow to Magomedov this time. A little payback? Maybe. A nice body shot by Magomedov! Magomedovn seems to be strictly boxing with Green. 30 seconds to go. Magomedov with a spinning back kick that just missed Green’s head. That could have ended it right there. We give the fight and round to Magomedov. Over to the judges. Judges score 29-28 Magomedov, 29-28 Green and 29-28 Magomedov. Winner by split decision Rashid Magomedov. Fight Rate: 3/5
Tim Elliott 13 – 7 – 1 (Missouri, USA) VS Louis “Da Last Samurai” Smolka (Kapolei, Hawaii) 11 – 3 – 0 Bantemweight
Fun Fact! Tim Elliott is the Ultimate Fighter 24 Winner!
- ROUND 1 – The fight starts, Elliott comes out aggressive and takes Smolka down! Smolka gets up however is getting some knees and elbows from Elliott. Elliott then takes Smolka down again. Smolka is attempting a submission however Elliott is defending it well. Elliott is now on top of Smolka however Smolka escapes. This round ends, we give it to Elliott based on dominance and the take downs.
- ROUND 2 – Elliott starts off the round again with a quick take down, Smolka ends up on top. Elliott gets back up and takes down Smolka once again. And another take down! Wow. Elliott is now attempting a submission however Smolka escapes. Smolka attempting a leg lock however Elliott escapes and ends up on top of Smolka. This has definitely been a back and forth fight. Both fighter are now standing and trading strikes. With less than two minutes to go, Elliott is starting to slow down. Elliott is on top of Smolka attempting a submission with 30 seconds left. Can Smolka hold out!? 10 seconds left and Smolka escapes. We give this round to Elliott once again due to another dominant performance.
- ROUND 3 – And another take down by Elliott to start off the round! Both fighters get back up quick and are in the centre of the Octagon. Elliott with a take down again and a full mount. Smolka reverses it and is now attempting a submission however doesn’t get it. 30 seconds to go and Elliott secures another take down. This fight will go to the judges for decision. We give this round and the fight to Elliott 30-27. Judges agree. Tim Elliott wins by unanimous decision. Fight Rate: 3/5
Augusto “Tanquinho” Mendes (Rio De Janiero, Brazil) 6 – 1 – 0 VS Aljamain ” Funk Master” Sterling (New York, USA) 12 – 2 – 0 Bantemweight
- ROUND 1 – Sterling takes Mendes down and has his back against the cage. Mendes is attempting a submission however Sterling escapes. Mendes drops Sterling and is now attempting another submission. A scramble by both fighters ends up with Sterling being on top of Mendes again. We give this round to Sterling based on being in control majority of the round.
- ROUND 2 – Both fighters swinging and missing to start off the round. Sterling now has Mendes pinned against the cage. Mendes reverses it and now has Sterling pinned against the cage. He’s looking to take Sterling down however doesn’t succeed. Instead they stayed pinned against the cage. He attempts this again and is also unsuccessful. Maybe the third try is the one? Nope, instead back to the centre of the Octagon they go. Sterling is starting to take control of this round by landing a few shots to Mendes and taking him down. We give this round to Sterling once again for being the more effective striker.
- ROUND 3 – Sterling comes out striking with accuracy and putting the pressure on Mendes. Once again, Sterling has Mendes against the cage. The Referee breaks it up to due inactivity. Less than two minutes to go. The fighters are still battling for position against the cage, one of them looking to end it. We give this round and the fight to Sterling 30-27. All three judges score 29-28 for unanimous decision Aljamain Sterling! Fight Rate: 3/5
Devin “Brown Bear” Clark (South Dakota, USA) 7 – 1 – 0 VS Jake “The Prototype” Collier (Missouri, USA) 10 – 3 – 0 Light Heavyweight
FUN FACT! Devin Clark was discovered on Dana White’s Looking for a Fight Reality Show.
- ROUND 1 – Clark comes out swinging!! Misses however pins Collier up against the cage. These fighter are going at it! Collier with a kick and a flurry of punches! Wow! These fighter are going at it. Collier now has Clark against the cage. It’s an action packed fight so far. This fight has been back and forth so far we have no idea who’s winning! Clark brings Collier down with two minutes left. Collier gets up and Clark lands some big shots! Less than 30 seconds left in the round. The momentum has slowed down. I guess that’s what happens when you come out hot and heavy, guns a-blazing! We give this round to Clark for taking more control of the second half of the round.
- ROUND 2 – Collier seems to be losing his momentum as he looks to be slowing down. A knee to the body from Clark lands nicely on Collier. Clark has Collier against the cage. However with the way they have been reversing it, Collier may end up pinning Clark against the cage. And there he does it! Collier has Clark against the cage. Ooo! and a low blow Clark, kneeing Collier in the nuts. That’s a great way to get out of that hold. A quick time out to let Collier recover. Two minutes left in the second round. Clark takes Collier down and has his back. They get back up and the round is over. We give the round to Clark for pressing the action.
- ROUND 3 – This fight is the same situation as the last one, Collier has to win by Knock Out or Submission. Collier comes out very aggressive, which results in Clark taking him down. Collier gets back up however Clark takes him back down. A full mount by Clark! This may be the beginning of the end. Collier escapes with two minutes left in the last round. The two fights keep exchanging strikes till the last horn blows. We give this round and fight to Clark 30-27. Over to the judges once again. Winner by unanimous decision Devin Clark! 30-27, 30-27 and 30-26! Fight Rate: 3/5
Andrew “El Dirte” Sanchez (New Jersey, USA) 9 – 2 – 0 VS Anthony “Lion Heart” Smith (Nebraska, USA) 26 – 12 – 0 Middleweight
- ROUND 1 – The fight starts off quick. Sanchez counters Smith’s punch with a hook, pins Smith up against the cage and takes him down. Both fighters are battling for position on the gourd. Smith reverses Sanchez and is now on top. The referee breaks them up due to inactivity and both are back in the centre of the Octagon. Less than a minute to go. Sanchez lands a nice hook counter striking Smith’s hook. We’re coming to the closing of the round. We give this round to Sanchez for being more aggressive and landing more strikes.
- ROUND 2 – Sanchez swings and misses a big hook, stumbling to the ground. Smith goes after him, however Sanchez quickly recovers. Sanchez is going for a take down. Doesn’t get it and pins Smith against the cage. Both fighters are now in the middle of the Octagon. Smith attempts a take down and also doesn’t get it. Sanchez goes for a take down and gets it this time. With less than a minute left in the round, Sanchez continues to land shots while having Smith on the ground. Smith’s nose is bleeding now. We give this round to Sanchez. Hopefully Smith can survive the third round as he isn’t looking too good.
- ROUND 3 – The fight starts of quick with both fighters being aggressive. Smith coming out more aggressive this round than he did the first two round. He’s looking for a big powerful punch to land and end the fight. Sanchez attempts a take down but doesn’t succeed. Both fighters are tired and slowing down. A flying knee by Smith that connects as well as a head kick. Smith is taking control of this round. The momentum has switched. Smith with a right hook/ left hook backed Sanchez up against the cage. Followed by a head kick which drops Sanchez! Smith jumps on him and is raining punches, knocking out Sanchez! The referee stops the fight. Better late than never on Smith’s side. He started off slow but most likely knew he will not win this fight without a knockout or a submission and he did just that. Winner by knockout at 3:52 Anthony Smith. Fight Rate: 4/5
Nathan “Soul Force” Coy (Florida, USA) 15 – 6 – 0 VS Zak Cummings 20 – 5 – 0 (Missouri, USA) Welterweight
- ROUND 1 – Zak Cummings is a home town kid! There is no guess who the crowd is cheering for as they go crazy once he’s introduced. Both fighters come out fast. Cummings more aggressive than Coy, landing more strikes. Coy is throwing one punch here and there whereas Cummings is putting together combo strikes and making contact! Cummings lands a nice left hook and almost stuns Coy. This fight looks like it may end quickly. Coy recovers well just as Cummings delivers another hook and drops Coy. Coy attempts a takedown however doesn’t get it. Instead Cummings gets Coy a Guillotine submission. Coy taps twice then goes limp as the referee is late to stop the fight. Home Boy Kid Zak Cummings wins by Guillotine Submission at 4:21 of the first round. Fight Rate: 4/5
Ashlee Evans-Smith (California, USA) 5 – 1 – 0 VS Ketlen “Fenomeno” Vieira (Amazonas, Brazil) 7 – 0 – 0 Bantemweight
- ROUND 1 – The event has officially started! Both ladies coming out with punches swinging. Vieira striking with a two hook- uppercut combo! Vieira now has Evans-Smith up against the cage. Vieira landing elbows and punches against Evans-Smith. Less than a minute to go in the round. We give this round to Vieira for being more active. Evans-Smith landed punches however Vieira threw and landed a lot more.
- ROUND 2 – Vieira comes out the same way she did the first round, fists a-swinging! Vieira now has Evans-Smith against the cage attempting a take down… and she gets it! She now has her back. Evans-Smith successfully defends it and gets back up. Both fighters are back in the centre of the Octagon. Vieira is pressing the action more in this round and is landing more strikes. A minute left in the round and Vieira is taking control. Evans-Smith is trying to trade strikes with Vieira however Vieira seems to be the quicker fighter landing more strikes. Evans-Smith gives one and takes two. We give this round to Vieira once again.
- ROUND 3 – Once again Vieira starts out aggressive and swinging. Evans-Smith will need either a Knock Out or Submission to win this fight. Evans-Smith landing a punch and dropping Vieira!! Vieira gets up quick, while Evans-Smith chases her to the cage. Vieira reverses it and now has Evans-Smith against the cage. The referee breaks it up due to inactivity and back to the centre of the Octagon they go to exchange strikes once again. With less than a minute to go in the final round, you can see that the pace has slowed down. We give this round to Evans-Smith for being the more busier fighter. Overall we give the fight to Vieira 29/28. Over to the judges for their decision. 29/28, 29/28, 30/27- for winner by unanimous decision Ketlen “Fenomeno” Vieira. Fight Rate: 3/5