UFC Fight Night 112: Chiesa vs. Lee
Chesapeake Energy Arena | Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Sunday, June 25, 2017
The card starts off quick with a TKO by Jeremy Kimball in the first round at 1:21 towards Josh Stansbury. That fight ended before we could even get into the card! The second TKO came between Jared Gordon and Michel Quinones with the referee stopping the fight at 4:24 of the second round. The next TKO comes at 0:29 of the first round!! This occurred between Dominick Reyes and Joachim Christensen. Tim Boetsch vs. Johny Hendricks also ends in a TKO at 0:46 of Round 2 when Boetsch lands a head kick followed by 6 upper cuts to Hendricks! Yup, 6! That was a good fight. The main card between Michael Chiesa vs. Kevin Lee ended in controversial fashion however we agree with the decision. Take a look to see if you agree as well.
The other 8 fights went to the judges for decision. Majority of them were decided the same way we thought. There were some rounds the judges scored differently than us, however the overall winner was the same. Take a look to see what happened throughout the night.
Overall, this card averaged a score of 3.38/5 therefore giving the card a rating of 4/5. This card is tied for 9th place with the Fight Night that occurred on Saturday, April 22, 2017 Swanson vs. Lobov.
Until next time, Stay Tuned, Stay Focused. Good Night till the Next Fight.
Fighting out of the BLUE CORNER and fighting out of the RED CORNER
Michael “Maverick” Chiesa (Washington, USA) 14 – 2 – 0 Kevin “The Motown Phenom” Lee (Nevada, USA) 15 – 2 – 0 – Lightweight
- ROUND 1 – The main event has begun. Both fighters feeling each other out the first minute of the round. Chiesa catches Lee and drops him. Lee gets back up and has Chiesa against the cage. Lee slams Chiesa down and is now on top. Chiesa going for submission. Lee now has Chiesa’s back. Lee has Chiesa in a body lock and is hammering down punches on Chiesa. Lee sinks in a Rear Naked Choke submission and the referee stops the fight. Chiesa seems to dispute the decision as he didn’t tap out however clearly it looked like he was going limp. For safety reasons the referee stops the fight, which we agree with. Safety always has to be on the side of the fighters. Kevin Lee wins by Rear Naked Choke Submission at 4:37 of Round 1. Fight Rate: 4/5
Tim “The Barbarian” Boetsch (Pennsylvania, USA)20 – 11 – 0 VS Johny “Bigg Rigg” Hendricks (Texas, USA) 18 – 6 – 0 – Middleweight
Fight Fact! Johny Hendricks missed weight for this fight.
- ROUND 1 – The fight starts with Boetsch throwing heavy leg kicks. Both fighters are looking to land their power punch. A good exchange of strikes by both fighters. A nice hook-leg kick combo by Boetsch. Boetsch is landing a few more significant strikes than Hendricks as the round comes to an end. We give that round to Boetsch for having more significant strikes.
- ROUND 2 – Boetsch comes out with a kick-punch combo to start the round. A head kick by Boetsch stuns Hendricks! Multiple upper cuts by Boetsch puts a stop to the fight! Tim Boetsch wins by TKO at 0:46 of Round 2. Fight Rate: 4/5
Felice “Lil Bulldog” Herrig (Illinois, USA) 12 – 6 – 0 VS Justine Kish (California, USA) 6 – 0 – 0 – Strawweight
- ROUND 1 – Both fighters starting out fast, grappling. Herrig has the back of Kish already and is looking for a submission. Kish escapes and gets up. Herrig takes Kish down once again and has full mount. She’s now raining down elbows and punches. Kish escapes however Herrig now has Kish’s back once again. And then she’s in a full mount. Kish escapes and is now on top of Herrig. Both fighters are now standing in the centre of the Octagon with a minute left to go. Herrig with a take down that Kish reverses and ends up on top of Herrig. The round ends. We give it to Herrig for controlling majority of the round by being on top or having Kish’s back.
- ROUND 2 – Round 2 starts with both fighters exchanging some strikes. Two left hooks by Herrig. Herrig seems to be landing her left hook at will. Herrig now has Kish against the cage and then takes her down. Herrig then has Kish’s back and is attempting a submission. Kish reverses that and ends up on top of Herrig. This round ends with Kish on top however as Herrig controlled majority of the round, we’ll give it to her.
- ROUND 3 – Both fighters starting the last round coming out swinging. Herrig grabs Kish and brings her down and then has full mount. Herrig has a guillotine choke submission sunked in. The fight was almost stopped, however Kish escapes! Wow. That was great defence by Kish. Herrig in full mount once again. With less than a minute to go, Herrig still has dominance over Kish and is landing strikes. The horn blows with Herrig still on top of Kish. We give this round and fight to Herrig, 30-27. Judges decide 30-26, 30-26 and 29-27 for the winner by unanimous decision Felice Herrig! Fight Rate: 3/5
Joachim Christensen (Copenhagen, Denmark) 14 – 5 – 0 VS Dominick “The Devastor” Reyes (California, USA) 6 – 0 – 0 – Light Heavyweight
Fight Fact! This is Dominick Reyes’ UFC Fight Debut!
- ROUND 1 – Reyes starts the round off with a good body kick. He then hits Christensen with a stiff jab that backs him up and stuns him. Reyes comes with a kick that drops Christensen and then another straight jab that cripples him. Reyes steps back, the referee doesn’t stop the fight so Reyes goes in for one big punch while Christensen is on the ground. The referee then comes and stops the fight. Dominick Reyes wins by TKO at 0:29 of Round 1. Fight Rate: 4/5
Alex “The Dominican Nightmare” Garcia (Quebec, Canada) 14 – 3 – 0 VS Tim “The Dirty Bird” Means 26 – 8 – 1 – (New Mexico, USA) Welterweight
- ROUND 1 – The fight starts with Garcia with a left hooks. Means responds well. Both fighters exchanging strikes in the first minute. Garcia with a hook that stuns Means and takes him down. Means escapes and both fighters are back to the centre of the Octagon. A big left hook by Garcia! Means taunts Garcia. Round 1 comes to an end. It was close however we give it to Garcia for more significant strikes landed.
- ROUND 2 – Round 2 starts with Means landing a few leg- punch combos which don’t have a real big effect on Garcia. Garcia with an attempted take down, defended well by Means. Both fighters are in the middle of the Octagon trying to land some strikes. Means now taunting Garcia once again. Last minute to go in the round. Not much activity in this round, however Means seems to be doing most of the work. The round ends and we give it to Means.
- ROUND 3 – Round 3 starts with Garcia controlling the round so far. Garcia gets the takedown, however Means reverses it and escapes. Both fighters are back standing and in the centre of the Octagon. They are trading strikes, back and forth. This is a close fight and we are in the last minute of the fight. A lot of strikes being thrown by both fighters, however nothing is landing. This round could go either way. We would give it to Means based on landing more strikes. We also give the fight to Means 29-28. The judges decide 29-28, 29-28 and 29-28 for winner by unanimous decision Tim Means! Fight Rate: 3/5
B.J. “The Prodigy” Penn (Hawaii, USA) 16 – 11 – 2 VS Dennis Siver (Mannheim, Germany) 21 – 11 – 0 – Featherweight
- ROUND 1 – The main card is on the way! Siver starts out countering Penn’s strikes and landing a few kicks and strikes of his own. Siver then has Penn up against the cage however Penn escapes. Both fighters are in the centre of the Octagon. Penn now has Siver against the cage landing some knees. Siver breaks loose! Siver then with a nice right hand that stuns Penn. Both fighters exchanging strikes with less than a minute to go. Give seems to be the fighter with more striking in this round. The round ends with a flurry of combos from Siver. Due to that, we give the round to Siver for the more effective striking.
- ROUND 2 – Siver starts off the round with punches and kicks. However not many are of significance. With two minutes into the second round, Siver seems to be controlling the standup. Penn jabs Siver and stuns him a bit. An uppercut by Penn drops Siver! Penn goes after him and rains down punches and strikes. The referee watching close. Penn has side control and is delivering elbows to Siver’s head as well as knees to the body. Siver defending well as the round ends. We give this round to Penn due to the knock down and keeping Siver down.
- ROUND 3 – Siver comes out in the third round looking to land some kicks whereas Penn is keeping his distance ensuring they don’t land. Siver landing a few combos. Two minutes to go in the last round. So far its been all Siver. A head kick by Siver stuns Penn. Then a leg kick followed by a head kick! Siver is taking control of this round. Siver landing some combos. He’s looking to end this. A minute to go in the last round. The round ends, we give this round to Siver. We also give the fight to him 29-28. Judges decide: 28-28, 29-28 and 29-27 for the winner by majority decision Dennis Siver. Fight Rate: 3/5
Clay “The Carpenter” Guida (Illinois, USA) 32 – 14 – 0 VS Erik “New Breed” Koch (Wisconsin, USA) 15 – 4 – 0 – Featherweight
- ROUND 1 – Both fighters exchanging strikes. Nothing of significance. Guida with an attempted take down. Koch defending it well. Guida has Koch against the cage, still attempting a take down which he gets. Koch gets up quickly, reverse it and puts Guida against the cage. Guida reverses that and now has Koch against the cage, looking for another take down. The horn blows. We give this round to Guida for having Koch up against the cage for majority of the round.
- ROUND 2 – Round 2 starts with Guida pressuring Koch. A right hook by Guida drops Koch. Guida fighting for position with Koch and ends up on top. Guida has side control and is looking to better his position. Guida now has full mount and is landing some body shots. Guida still in full mount is landing strikes to Koch’s head. The horn blows with what looked like Guida playing drums on Koch’s head! We give this round to him for his dominance.
- ROUND 3 – The third round starts with the crowd chanting “Gui-da! Gui-da! Gui-da!” With a minute into the round, Guida attempts a take down. Koch defends well however is up against the cage. Guida attempts another take down and gets him down this time and is in full mount. Guida is landing some punches as Koch has nowhere to go being trapped against the cage. A minute to go in the last round. The round ends, Koch survives. We give this round and fight to Guida 30-27. Over to the judges once again. Judges decide, 29-28, 29-26, 30-27 for winner by unanimous decision Clay Guida. Fight Rate: 3/5
Vitor “Lex Luther” Miranda (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) 13 – 5 – 0 VS Marvin “The Italian Dream” Vettori (Mezzocorona, Italy) 11 – 3 – 0 – Middleweight
- ROUND 1 – Vettori comes out aggressive landing a few good strikes. Miranda counters with a few good strikes of his own. Both fighters continuing to counter strike. Vettori is starting to take control of the fight. Vettori has Miranda against the cage and takes him down. The round ends, we give it to Vettori for his take downs.
- ROUND 2 – The second round starts with both fighters landing a few good kicks. Vettori responds with a body kick. Miranda with 4 leg kicks in a row! Vettori takes Miranda down, Miranda attempts a submission which he doesn’t get. The round ends and we once again give it to Vettori for his take downs that caused him to control majority of the round.
- ROUND 3 – Vettori comes out more aggressive in the last round. Both fighters exchanging strikes in the centre of the Octagon. Miranda swinging for the fences looking for the knockout. Vettori is slowing down quite a bit. Fatigue is settling in. A good knee from Miranda. Vettori then takes Miranda down against the cage. 30 seconds to go. We give this round to Miranda for the more effective striking and more control of the round. However it isn’t enough to win the overall fight. We score this fight 29-28 for Vettori. Judges Decide: 29-28, 30-27 and 30-27 for the winner by unanimous decision Marvin Vettori. Fight Rate: 3/5
Carla “Cookie Monster” Esparza (California, USA) 12 – 4 – 0 VS Maryna “Iron Lady” Moroz (Volnogorsk, Ukraine) 8 – 1 – 0 – Strawweight
- ROUND 1 – With two minutes into the round, both fighters are trying to get some momentum their way. Esparza attempts a takedown however Moroz defends well. Both fighters continue to stand in the centre of the Octagon. Esparza goes for another take down and gets this one. Moroz is attempting a submission however Esparza defends well. With 30 seconds to go, we give this round to Esparza for the take down.
- ROUND 2 – The majority of this round spent with both fighters exchanging strikes. With two minutes left, Esparza goes for a take down which she doesn’t get. Esparza goes for another take down and gets it however Moroz defends well and gets up quick. Esparza goes for take down once again and gets it! Both fighters are battling for position with Esparza on top of Moroz. Moroz stands up as the horn blows. We give this round to Esparza for her take down once again.
- ROUND 3 – Moroz goes for a kick which Esparza catches. Esparza takes Moroz to the ground however lets her back up for some unknown reason. Both fighter are now in the centre of the Octagon exchanging strikes. Esparza goes for a take down once again and gets it at 2:45 left of the last round. The crowd is booing with no action on the ground, the referee stands them up with 1:20 left. Esparza with a take down yet again and gets it. The round ends. We give this round to Esparza as well as the fight 30-27. Judges decide: 30-27, 29-28 and 2-28 for the winner by unanimous decision Carla Esparza. Fight Rate: 3/5
Darrell “The Saint” Horcher (Pennsylvania, USA) 8 – 2 – 0 VS Devin Powell (Maine, USA) 8 – 2 – 0 – Lightweight
- ROUND 1 – Horcher starts off with a two punch combo that backs Powell up. Powell answers with a kick to the head. Powell takes Horcher down, however Horcher reverses it and ends up on Powell. Horcher landing a few strikes. The round comes to an end with both fighters still on the floor looking for dominance. We give this round to Horcher for being in control of the fights by having Powell on the ground for more than three minutes.
- ROUND 2 – Powell starts off the round with a few legs kicks. Horcher stuns Powell with an upper cut! Powell is trying to survive and is pinned against the cage. Another upper cut by Horcher drops Powell! Horcher is once again on top of Powell landing strikes as Powell tries to defend. The round comes to an end with Horcher still on top. Due to that we give this round to Horcher once again.
- ROUND 3 – The round starts with Powell and his leg kicks. With two minutes into the round, Powell decides to take Horcher down. Horcher defends well and now has Powell against the cage. Powell going for a submission as Horcher takes Powell down. Powell reverses it and ends up on top of Horcher attempting a submission hold. Horcher defending well. Good grappling by both fighters. Horcher gets back to his feet as Powell sinks in a choke hold. Horcher defends well and gets out of it however takes Powell back down. With 10 seconds left, we give this round to Powell however we give the fight to Horcher 29-28. Judges Decide: 29-28 Horcher, 29-28 Powell, 29-28 Horcher. Darrell Horcher wins by split decision. Fight Rate: 3/5
Jared “Flash” Gordon (New York, USA) 12 – 1 – 0 VS Michel “Capo” Quinones (Florida, USA) 8 – 1 – 0 – Featherweight
Fight Fact! This is Michel Quinones UFC Debut! Jared Gordon weighted in 4 pounds over the Featherweight limit.
- ROUND 1 – The fight starts and Quinones comes out quick with a kick to the body. Gordon answers with a few strikes to the head. Gordon with a nice hook that backs Quinones up. Gordon then takes Quinones down looking for a submission however Quinones is defending well. Quinones gets himself out of danger and gets up. Both fighters are now in the centre of the Octagon. With less than a minute to go in the first round, both fighters are looking for the significant strikes, none which are landing. With less than 20 seconds to go, we give this round to Gordon for controlling majority of the round.
- ROUND 2 – Both fighters start the round by going at it. Gordon stuns Quinones with an uppercut and then follows up with a take down. Gordon is doing a good job controlling Quinones on the ground, not letting him up. Quinones gets up, however Gordon pushes him against the cage and is landing punches. Quinones trying to get a breath of fresh air, however Gordon smothers him and takes him down once again. Ninety seconds to go. Gordon is all over Quinones landing down punches and elbows. Quinones is doing a good job defending the strikes however this fight is close to being stopped. And there we have it, the referee stops the fight with 36 seconds to go. Jared Gordon wins by TKO at 4:24 of Round 2. Fight Rate: 4/5
Johnny “Hollywood” Case (Iowa, USA) 22 – 4 – 0 VS Tony Martin (Massachusetts, USA) 10 – 3 – 0- Lightweight
- ROUND 1 – A minute into the fight, both fighters are still feeling each other out. Case putting together some combos that land on Martin. Martin countering with a right jab that stuns Case. Less than a minute to go in the round. Case is landing more strikes, however Martin is hitting the more effective strikes therefore this round will be close. Case seems to be upping his game the last 30 seconds. Due to that we will give this round to Case.
- ROUND 2 – Martin lands a big right hand hook on Case that stuns him. Case recovers well. Case delivers a few combos to Martin making a comeback. Martin lands another right hook that stuns Case. Case reciprocates with a jab that stuns Martin. Martin then lands a stiff jab to Case! These two fighters are trading strikes back and forth. With 45 seconds to go, Martin is taking control of the round. We give this round to Martin.
- ROUND 3 – Both fighters start off the round looking for that big shot. So far Case seems to be landing more strikes. Martin lands a good knee to Case’s head followed by some significant strikes. With a minute to go in the last round, this will determine who wins the fight. Martin with a take down! Case takes an elbow getting up however Martin sinks in a submission right as the horn blows. We give this round and fight to Martin 28-27. Judges Decide: 29-28 for the winner by unanimous decision Tony Martin! Fight Rate: 3/5
Jeremy “Grizzly” Kimball (Colorado, USA) 14 – 6 – 0 VS Josh “The Sandman” Stansbury (Ohio, USA) 8 – 2 – 0 Light Heavyweight
Fight Fact! This is Jeremy Kimball’s UFC Debut!
- ROUND 1 – We are on the way, the fight card has officially started! Stansbury starts out with a big right hook. Stansbury now has Kimball against the cage. Kimball escapes and both fighters are now exchanging strikes. Kimball with a straight jab and then a right hand to the ear drops Stansbury. Kimball lands down some punches to Stansbury’s head when the referee comes and stops the fight. Jeremy Kimball wins by TKO at 1:21 of Round 1. Fight Rate: 4/5