The Ultimate Fighter 25 Finale: Johnson vs. Gaethje
*As of July 7, 2017 the fight between Jessica Eye and Aspen Ladd was scrapped due to Ladd being cited for illness. Thus, the fight between Juliana Lima vs. Tecia Torres has been moved from the Early Prelims to the Prelims”
The card started off with only one fight on the early prelims going to the judges for decision and coming out with a 30-26 score. However, the next fight between Juliana Lima vs. Tecia Torres was action packed from the beginning. Lima with a take down in round two that gets reversed into a submission by Torres! It’s a fight to see for sure. The next fight that didn’t go to the judges for decision was in the main card between Nick Roehrick vs Jared Cannonier. Both fighters delivering heavy strikes however Cannonier winning via TKO in the third round. The Ultimate Fighter Redemption Welterweight fight between Dheigo Lima vs. Jessie Taylor ended in a Rear Naked Choke Submission at 0:43 of Round 2. Read on to see who won that fight and who is the new Ultimate Fighter Redemption Welterweight champion! The main event between Michael Johnson and Justin Gaethje was full of excitement from the beginning. It was an action packed, back and forth fight full of heavy strikes and worth the watch. Read on to see what happened.
Overall, this card averaged a score of 3.36/5 therefore giving the card a rating of 4/5. This card wasn’t one of our better cards as it ranks 10th however the main event fight was one to watch.
Until next time, Stay Tuned, Stay Focused. Good Night till the Next Fight.
Fighting out of the BLUE CORNER and fighting out of the RED CORNER
Michael “The Menace” Johnson (Florida, USA) 17 – 11 – 0 VS Justin “The Highlight” Gaethje (Colorado, USA) 17 – 0 – 0 Lightweight
Fight Fact! This is Justin Gaethje’s UFC Debut!
- ROUND 1 – Here we go! The fight starts off with Johnson landing a few heavy punches that rocks Gaethje. Gaethje responds back with a few combos of his own. These two fighters are brawling. Just like the rest of the fights, these fighters are starting out fast. Gaethje with a two punch combo followed by a knee that rocks Johnson. The momentum seems to have shifted to Gaethje’s favour. A body shot by Gaethje followed by leg kicks. All of which are landing. Gaethje backing Johnson up against the cage. Gaethje with another hook that stuns Johnson. Less than a minute to go. Both of these fighters are going at it. An uppercut by Johnson rocks Gaethje. Johnson takes Gaethje down and has him against the cage sending blow after blow just as the horn blows. It’s a tough round to call however we give it to Gaethje for controlling majority of the round.
- ROUND 2 – Both fighters start the round off landing a couple combinations each. A right hook by Johnson rocks Gaethje and has him up against the cage. Gaethje fights back, lands a knee and escapes. Both fighters are back to the centre of the Octagon exchanging strikes. Both fighters are starting to get tired as their strikes seem to be slower. Johnson seems to be the more active striker thus far. An uppercut by Gaethje and another one! Rocking Johnson as he’s stumbling backwards towards the cage. Gaethje has Johnson rocked as Johnson falls to the ground. Another big strike by Gaethje, he’s taking control of this round. A flying knee by Gaethje followed by another knee to Johnson’s head. With 12 seconds left in the 2nd round, the referee stops the fight . Justin Gaethje is the winner by TKO at 4:48 of Round 2. Fight Rate: 4/5
Dheigo Lima (Georgia, USA) 14 – 5 – 0 VS Jessie “JT Money” Taylor (California, USA) 32 – 15 – 0 – “TUF 25” Redemption Welterweight Tournament Final
- ROUND 1 – Taylor starts the round off with an attempted take down. Lima defending well. Taylor attempting to take Lima’s back however he doesn’t get it. He is still looking to get a take down and finally gets it. Taylor attempting a rear naked choke submission however Lima is defending well. Taylor attempts another one which was locked in however he loses the hold. Over a minute left in the first round. Taylor still has Lima’s back landing a few strikes to his head to end the round. We give this round to Taylor for his dominance over the round.
- ROUND 2 – Lima starts off the round with a left hook that drops Taylor. Taylor then has Lima’s back once again. Taylor attempting a rear naked choke submission which he gets leaving Lima to tap out. Jessie Taylor wins by Rear Naked Choke Submission at 0:43 of Round 2 making him the The Ultimate Fighter 25 Redemption Welterweight Winner! Fight Rate: 4/5
Marc “Bonecrusher” Diakiese (Doncaster, England) 12 – 0 – 0 VS Drakkar Klose (Arizona, USA) 6 – 0 – 1 Lightweight
- ROUND 1 – A low leg kick to start the round off by Klose followed by a take down. Klose stomping on Diakiese’s foot while holding him against the cage. Diakiese uses the momentum of Klose on one foot, spins around and takes Klose down. Another take down and reversal by Klose. Both fighters still against the cage, fighting back and forth for dominance. Diakiese with a spinning back kick. Klose drops Diakiese and rushes him to deliver strikes. Diakiese defending well. 45 seconds remaining. We give this round to Klose for being the more active fighter.
- ROUND 2 – Klose going for a take down which he doesn’t get however pins Diakiese against the cage. Diakiese escapes and both fighters are back in the centre of the Octagon. Diakiese with another spinning back kick that gets caught by Klose and brings Diakiese down. Nothing comes from the take down as both fighters are back on their feet. An accidental kick to the lower area has the referee calling a quick time out for Klose. The round ends with Klose sweeping Diakiese’s leg out and the two fighters grappling on the ground. It was a close fight however we give it to Klose once again for being the more dominant fighter.
- ROUND 3 – After multiple strikes being exchanged, Klose with a take down that gets reversed by Diakiese yet again. Diakiese has Klose against the cage. Klose goes for a take down that gets revered by Diakiese as well. It seems that Klose is the attacker and Diakiese the defender. A right hand from Klose to end the fight. We give this round and fight to Klose 30-27. Judges decide 29-28 for Klose, 29-28 Diakiese and 29-28 for the winner by split decision Drakkar Klose. Fight Rate: 3/5
Nick Roehrick (Colorado, USA) 12 – 2 – 0 VS Jared “The Killa Gorilla” Cannonier (Alaska, USA) 9 – 2 – 0 Light Heavyweight
- ROUND 1 – The fighters starting out the same way as the others, aggressive. Both throwing hooks and jabs to the other. Some hitting, some missing. A right hand by Cannonier and then a head kick! Roehrick throwing heavy punches in response. Less than a minute to go. Roehrick pins Cannonier against the cage which is quickly reversed and then lost as both fighters are back to the centre of the Octagon. We give this round to Cannonier for his aggressive striking.
- ROUND 2 – Cannonier having Roehrick up against the cage delivering 1-2 combination punches. A strike by Roehrick misses Cannonier as Cannonier uses Roehrick’s momentum to take him down and deliver punch after punch to Roehrick. Under 2 minutes to go in the second. Roehrick with a right hand with 30 seconds go to. The round ends with Cannonier having Roehrick against the cage delivering a few knees. The horn blows and the round ends just as Cannonier throws a left leg kick. We give this round to Cannonier for his aggressive striking.
- ROUND 3 – The third round starts with Roehrick throwing hooks and jabs. His face is bleeding from all of Cannioner’s strikes. Cannonier with a front kick that rocks Roehrick. Cannonier catches Roehrick with another hook then a body shot that puts Roehrick against the cage. He takes Roehrick down and then delivers elbow after elbow after elbow to Roehrick’s head. The referee jumps in and stops the fight. Jared Cannonier wins by TKO at 2:08 of Round 3. Fight Rate: 4/5
Brad Tavares (Nevada, USA) 14 – 4 – 0 VS Elias “The Spartan” Theodorou (Ontario, Canada) 13 – 1 – 0 Middleweight
- ROUND 1 – Seems like all the fighters on this card are starting off quick. This fight is no exception. Theodorou bobbing and weaving through Tavares attempted strikes and then with a take down. Tavares reversing it and looking to get Theodorou’s back. Both loose control and are back to the feet in the centre of the Octagon. Theodorou with a high kick to Tavares’s head which Tavares blocks nicely. Both fighters struggling for position in the centre of the Octagon. Less than a minute to go. We give this round to Theodorou for being the more active fighter.
- ROUND 2 – Both fighters exchanging strikes and taking turns pinning the other against the cage. A kick by Tavares that is caught by Theodorou. A nice combination by Theodorou including a body kick to Tavares. This was a close round however we give it to Tavares for his strikes. Theodorou seemed to be throwing more strikes however they were missing their mark.
- ROUND 3 – Theodorou starting off the round with a take down. He has Tavares against the cage and is struggling to take his back. Both fighters back to their feet however still against the cage. Theodorou with another take down! Both fighters struggling once again. Tavares gets Theodorou’s back and is looking for a submission. He doesn’t get it as Theodorou escapes. Tavares transitions again and gets Theodorou’s back once more however this one doesn’t last long as Theodorou is free again. What a back and forth battle this is. We give this round to Tavares for being the more dominant fighter. We give the fight to Theodorou 28-27. Over to the judges once again. Judges decide 29-28 for winner by unanimous decision Brad Tavares. That was different. It doesn’t surprise us as it was a very close fight with close rounds! Fight Rate: 3/5
Marcel “Moazinha” Fortuna (Santa Catarina, Brazil) 8 – 1 – 0 VS Jordan Johnson (California. USA) 7 – 0 – 0 Light Heavyweight
- ROUND 1 – Johnson with some big shots right from the start. He dropped Fortuna and is raining down punches. Fortuna escapes and both are back to their feet in the centre of the Octagon. Johnson with a big overhand that misses however he has Fortuna against the cage. He takes Fortuna down for a split second before Fortuna gets back up quick. Fortuna with a left hook. Johnson with a two punch combo followed by another left hook to Fortuna’s head. We give this round to Johnson for his take downs and landing more strikes.
- ROUND 2 – Fortuna with a high kick that barely missed Johnson’s head. A left hook by Fortuna. Both fighters spending majority of this round throwing heavy hits, Fortuna throwing more of them. Just over a minute to go. Johnson attempting a take down which he doesn’t get however pins Fortuna against the cage. A sweep and then a take down by Johnson! Due to this, we give Johnson the round.
- ROUND 3 – Johnson with an attempted take down which Fortuna defends well. Another round spent mostly in strikes by both fighters. Both fighters picking up the pace with 10 seconds left. Fortuna with a body kick, and another, and a third! However, with Johnson having majority of the strikes this round, we give the round and the fight to him 30-27. Judges decide; 29-28 for the winner by unanimous decision Jordan Johnson. Fight Rate: 3/5
Angela “Overkill” Hill (California, USA) 6 – 3 – 0 VS Ashley “Spider Monkey” Yoder (California, USA) 5 – 2 – 0 Strawweight
- ROUND 1 – Here we go, the last fight in the Prelims! Both fighters proceeding each other with caution, feeling the other out. Yoder has Hill pinned against the cage looking for a take down. She gets it! Yoder looks to get Hills back however Hill quickly reverses the take down and pins Yoder against the cage just as Yoder “spider monkey’s” onto Hill’s back! Hill hangs in there and when Yoder lets go both fighters end up back in the centre of the Octagon. Hill with a flurry of punches to Yoder. None that do any significant damage. Less than a minute to go in the first of three rounds. Yoder with a body kick. Yoder started off the round however Hill seemed to have finished it with her punches and kicks. For that, we give this round to Hill.
- ROUND 2 – Yoder starting off the round with a take down. She’s fighting to keep Hill on the ground. She’s succeeding however she isn’t in a full mount. Yoder looking to get a full mount however Hill has a tight hold on Yoder’s right leg preventing her from a full mount. Yoder gives up Hill’s back and now Hill is on top of Yoder. Two minutes to go. Both fighters are struggling for position however nothing occurs as they stand up and are back to the centre of the Octagon. We give this round to Yoder for her take down and having ground control for majority of the fight.
- ROUND 3 – Yoder starting the round off with another take down. Yoder has Hill up against the cage. Hill defends the take down well and both fighters are standing back in the centre of the Octagon. Hill with a take down with two minutes to go. Hill looking for dominance on Yoder which she doesn’t seem to find therefore gets up letting Yoder get up as well. Less than a minute to go. 30 seconds to go. Both ladies landing shots to the other. It was a close round however Hill had the slight edge with landing her shots more than Yoder. We give this round and the fight to Hill 29-28. Judges decide 30-27 for the winner by unanimous decision Angela Hill. Fight Rate: 3/5
Tom “Da Tank” Gallicchio (California, USA) 19 – 10 – 0 vs. James “The James Krause” Krause (Missouri, USA) 23 – 8 – 0 Welterweight
- ROUND 1 – Krause with a front kick that lands however gets caught by Gallicchio. Gallicchio grabs that leg and takes Krause down. Krause trying to get to his feet however Gallicchio gets on Krause’s back! He’s working to get position however Krause is defending well. Both fighters separate and are back to the centre of the Octagon. A head kick by Krause to the right side of Gallicchio’s head. Gallicchio goes for a take down which he doesn’t get. Just over a minute to go when Gallicchio tries for another take down which he also doesn’t get. Krause with two punches to Gallicchio’s face to close the round. Due to those and being the more active striker, we give this round to Krause.
- ROUND 2 – Krause starting the round off with a left jab followed by a right. Both fighters throwing strikes to the other however nothing of significance for either fighter. Gallicchio’s face is bleeding somewhere due to all the head shots by Krause. Even though the round didn’t have much action for either fighter, we give it to Krause as he gave more strikes than Gallicchio.
- ROUND 3 – Krause starting off with more head shots. He seems to be landing those more than body shots. Would explain why Gallicchio’s face is bleeding so much. Gallicchio isn’t landing the strikes that he’s throwing. A take down attempt by Gallicchio which is defending once again by Krause. The crowd is cheering “Let’s go Krause, Let’s go Krause!” A right hand by Gallicchio. 45 seconds to go. A head kick by Krause that wobbles Gallicchio. Gallicchio goes for a take down however Krause gets on top and is delivering punches to Gallicchio’s head. Gallicchio hangs in there just as the horn blows. We give this round and the fight to Krause 30-27. Over to the judges for their decision. All three judges score 30-27 for winner by unanimous decision James Krause! Fight Rate: 3/5
C.B. “The Doberman” Dollaway (Arizona, USA) 15 – 7 – 0 VS Ed “Short Fuse” Herman (Oregon, USA) 23 – 12 – 0 Light Heavyweight
- ROUND 1 – A huge right hand to stat the fight by Herman behind Dollaway’s ear. That definitely would have stunned him. Dollaway has Herman down against the cage looking for a dominant position for majority of the round. Dollaway attempting an arm bar submission which Herman escapes from. The horn blows and the round ends. We give this round to Dollaway for being the more active fighter.
- ROUND 2 – A high kick from Dollaway to Herman’s head followed by a right hand counter by Herman to Dollaway! The fighters got knocked back down and they are right back up on their feet. Herman with a take down and is on top of Dollaway looking for position. This lasts for majority of the round. Seems to be a switch from the last round. Dollaway gains position on top however the horn blows and the round ends. We give this round to Herman for his take downs and control of the fight.
- ROUND 3 – The third round starts off quick with a take down by Dollaway once again. Herman looking for a submission from the bottom which he doesn’t get. 2 minutes into the last round, the fighters are on the ground against the cage. Both looking for a dominant position and both looking exhausted. Dollaway owning top position once again in this round. Less than a minute to go. Dollaway still maintaining the top position. Herman gets top position for a split second before Dolloway steals it back! We give this round and fight to Dollaway 29-28. Judges decide 29-28, 29-27 and 29-27 for winner by unanimous decision C.B. Dollaway. Fight Rate: 3/5
*Jessica “Evil” Eye ( ) 11 – 6 – 0 VS Aspen Ladd ( ) 4 – 0 – 0 Bantamweight*
Juliana “Ju Thai” Lima (Minas Gerais, Brazil) 9 – 3 – 0 VS Tecia “The Tiny Tornado” Torres (Colorado, USA) 8 – 1 – 0 Strawweight
- ROUND 1 – The ladies starting this round off quick! Lima with a take down with less than 30 seconds into the round! Torres takes control of the take down and has Lima against the cage. The referee steps in to break up the fight due to lack of action. Both fighters are now back in the centre of the Octagon. The round ends with both fighters struggling for position. We give the round to Lima for her take downs and persistence in the round.
- ROUND 2 – Lima with a take down that gets reversed by Torres and Torres takes Lima’s back right into a rear naked choke submission! WOW! Lima taps out and the fight is over! Tecia Torres wins by Rear Naked Choke Submission at 0:53 of Round 2. Fight Rate: 4/5
Teruto “Yashabo” Ishihara (Osaka, Japan) 9 – 2 – 2 VS Gray “The Buly” Maynard (Nevada, USA) 12 – 5 – 1 Featherweight
Fight Fact! Ishihara’s nickname Yashabo means rascal!
- ROUND 1 – Here we go! The Ultimate Fighter 25 Finale is underway. Both fighters starting off quick! Maynard with a take down having Ishihara against the cage. Ishihara manages to escape and gives a flying knee to Maynard. Maynard catches the knee and takes Ishihara back down. Maynard is on top of Ishihara working on a head and arm submission however he loses it. Ishihara escapes and both fighters are standing in the centre of the Octagon with less than a minute to go. Maynard takes Ishihara down once again. We give this round to Maynard for his take downs and dominance in this round.
- ROUND 2 – Maynard with a right hand followed by another take down to bring Ishihara back down against the cage. Both fighters continue to struggle against the cage with Maynard having control. With less than a minute to go, Ishihara gets up and delivers a nice knee to Maynard’s stomach. This doesn’t seem to faze Maynard as he continues to have dominance over Ishihara. We give this round to Maynard once again.
- ROUND 3 – Both fighters looking a little exhausted to start the last round. Ishihara with a left hand that was dodged by Maynard who takes down Ishihara yet again. Maynard looking for a submission however Ishihara is defending well. Maynard attempting a Guillotine submission which Ishihara gets out of. Very good defence by Ishihara. With Ishihara laid on his back and Maynard on top, Maynard had an accidental illegal kick which caused the referee to stop for a quick time out. After a warning to both fighters, they continued in their last position. The fight ends with Maynard having Ishihara still against the cage. We give this round and fight to Maynard 30-27. Now for the judges decision. All 3 judges score the fight 30-26 for the winner by unanimous decision Gray Maynard. Fight Rate: 3/5