UFC Fight Night 116: Rockhold vs. Branch
** As of Sept 13th, Thiago Alves has been forced to withdraw from his fight. Reasons are undisclosed**
** As of Sept 14th, UFC New Comer, Alex Reyes, has stepped in to replace Thiago Alves**
The card started off with a KO between Gilbert Burns and Jason Saggo at 4:55 of Round 2. This came out of nowhere as they usually do after a round of trading strikes back and forth. 5 seconds before the end of the round and BAM lights out. The next KO also came in Round 2 at 2:25 between Uriah Hall vs. Krzysztof Jotko. The third fight of the prelims ended in a TKO during Round 1 at 24 seconds! This was a fight that ended before it even started between Anthony Hamilton and Daniel Spitz. The next fight that ended was between Sergio Moraes and Kamaru Usman. A knock out by a right hook comes at 2:48 of the first round. Our first submission of the night came from the fight between Gregor Gillespie vs. Jason Gonzalez. An arm triangle submission ended this fight at 2:11 of Round 2. Another knock out comes in round 3 at 2:33 between Hector Lombard and Anthony Smith. The next fight that ended before it even began was between Mike Perry and Alex Reyes with a KO at 1:19 of Round 1. The main event between Luke Rockhold and David Branch also ended in a Submission due to Strikes at 4:05 of Round 2. What a card this was!! 8 out of 10 fights were finished!!
Overall, this card averaged a score of 3.80/5 therefore giving the card a rating of 5/5. This fight card is now our NEW NUMBER 1 CARD of the year!!
Until next time, Stay Tuned, Stay Focused. Good Night till the Next Fight.
Fighting out of the BLUE CORNER and fighting out of the RED CORNER
Luke Rockhold (California, USA) 15 – 3 – 0 vs. David Branch (New York, USA) 21 – 3- 0 Middleweight
- ROUND 1 – Branch starts off the main event aggressive. Rockhold seems to be countering Branch’s strikes. Branch has Rockhold against the cage. Branch is stalking Rockhold and stuns him! Branch has Rockhold against the cage and then takes him down. Rockhold quickly gets back up but is still pinned against the cage. Rockhold reverses it and now has Branch against the cage. Both fighters break and both are exchanging strikes. After a few strikes, both fighters break and are back in the centre of the Octagon. Rockhold comes out aggressive with a high kick and a hook. Branch responds back with a jab and pushes Rockhold against the cage. Rockhold takes Branch down with 20 seconds to go in the round, Nothing of significance comes from it as the horn blows. We give this round to Branch for being the more aggressive fighter and landing more strike.
- ROUND 2 – The second round starts with Branch coming out aggressive with his boxing. Branch then pins Rockhold against the cage after both fighters exchange strikes. Rockhold attempting a take down however Branch defends well. Rockhold finally gets a take down on Branch and has full mount. Branch turns around, Rockhold now has Branch’s back and is landing strikes. Branch defending well, the referee is coming in closer for a better look as Branch doesn’t seem to be fighting back. The referee puts a stop to the fight with 55 seconds left in the second round. Luke Rockhold wins by Submission Due to Strikes at 4:05 of Round 2. Fight Rate: 4/5
- ROUND 1 – The fight starts off with Perry coming out aggressive however Reyes is countering very well. Perry lands a few strikes that has Reyes stuns. Reyes recovers well and has Perry against the cage. Perry with a knee that knocks out Reyes! The fight is over!! Mike Perry wins by KO at 1:19 of Round 1. Fight Rate: 4/5
- ROUND 1 – The fight starts off with Smith landing a high kick and Lombard landing a hook. Lombard coming out aggressive. Lombard throwing some heavy strikes that drop Smith. Smith goes for a take down, Lombard defends it and is landing some heavy shots from the top. Smith hurrys and gets back to his feet and both fighters are back in the centre of the Octagon. Both fighters exchanging strikes. A nice hook by Lombard stuns Smith. And another one! Lombard landing some vicious leg kicks. The round ends and Lombard continues to go after the legs. We give this round to Lombard for his effective striking.
- ROUND 2 – Lombard starts the round off with leg kicks once again. A knee by Smith lands on Lombard however Lombard responds with a flurry of punches. Lombard now has Smith pinned against the cage. Smith escapes and both fighters are exchanging punches. Less than 30 seconds to go. An elbow by Smith drops Lombard. Lombard then takes Smith down as the round ends. We give this round to Lombard for his effective striking.
- ROUND 3 – The round starts off with Smith coming out aggressive. Both fighters exchanging effective strikes. So far neither is giving the better exchange. A right hook followed by a left jab then a right jab by Smith knocks Lombard down. Smith then jumps on Lombard, lands a few punches and the referee ends the fight. Anthony Smith wins by TKO at 2:33 of Round 3. Fight Rate: 4/5
- ROUND 1 – The fight starts off fast with Gonzalez landing a big head kick to Gillespie. Gillespie then lands a hold of Gonzalez and pins him against the cage. An elbow by Gillespie stuns Gonzalez and takes him down. Gillespie is now landing strikes to Gonzalez from the top. Gonzalez gets up however Gillespie is throwing elbows. Gonzalez is wobbling. Gillespie goes for a big take down on Gonzalez and takes him down against the cage. Gillespie is in full mount dropping elbows. Gonzalez gets back up and both fighters are back in the centre of the Octagon. Gillespie takes Gonzalez back down once again and is in full mount. A big elbow by Gillespie. Gonzalez lands an upper cut that stuns Gillespie. A minute to go in the first round. Gillespie takes Gonzalez down once again. The round ends, we give this round to Gillespie for his dominating performance standing and on the ground.
- ROUND 2 – Gonzalez starts the round off with a high kick. Gillespie is firing back and takes Gonzalez down once again. Gillespie has full mount on Gonzalez and is going for a submission. Gonzalez is doing his best to fight it however Gillespie has the submission in too deep and Gonzalez has no choice but to tap out. Gregor Gillespie wins by Arm Triangle Submission at 2:11 of Round 2. Fight Rate: 4/5
- ROUND 1 – Usman starts off the round very aggressive and in control. He lands a a hook that drops Moraes however Usman lets Moraes back up. Usman putting on the pressure towards Moraes. Moraes looking to counter strike. Moraes lands a hook that get’s Usman’s attention. Usman then responds with a right hook that knocks Moraes out! Usman walks away as he knows he has the knock out and lets the referee end the fight. Kamaru Usman wins by KO at 2:48 of Round 1. Fight Rate: 4/5
- ROUND 1 – The main event starts, both heavyweights looking to land heavy shots on the other. Both being cautious in their approach. Still trying to figure out their range, Ledet is starting to land a few combos. Ledet seems to be the more active striker while Anyanwu is the counter striker. The round ends. We give this round to Ledet for being the more active striker.
- ROUND 2 – Anyanwu comes out more aggressive than the first round landing a good combo. Ledet responds with a combo of his own. Anyanwu with another heavy strike. Ledet is throwing strikes however isn’t landing any while Anyanwu is throwing and landing his strikes. Ledet is finding this range with the jabs with 20 seconds to go in the second round. The crowd is starting to boo due to lack of activity from both fighters. We give this round to Ledet for being the more active fighter by throwing more strikes.
- ROUND 3 – Anyanwu comes out starting the third round aggressive. Anyanwu seems to be turning up the heat looking to knock Ledet out. Ledet avoids any danger. Anyanwu with another flurry of punches. Ledet responding back with a few jabs. Anyanwu with a big hook that stuns Ledet. Ledet recovers well once again. The remainder of the round ends with both Anyanwu and Ledet trading strikes. We give this round to Anyanwu for his more effective striking in the round. We give this fight to Ledet 29-28. Judges Decide: 29-28 Anyanwu, 29-28 Ledet, 29-28 for the winner by split decision Justin Ledet. Fight Rate: 3/5
Tony Martin (Massachusetts, USA) 12 – 3- 0 vs. Olivier “The Quebec Kid” Aubin-Mercier (Quebec, Canada) 10 – 2- 0 Lightweight
- ROUND 1 – Both fighters start off by finding each others range and landing a few kicks. Aubin-Mercier seems to be landing more of his strikes. Aubin-Mercier attempts a take down, doesn’t get it however has Martin pinned against the cage. Martin reverses it and has Aubin-Mercier against the cage. Aubin-Mercier then reverses that and takes Martin down. Martin gets back up and both fighters are standing trading shots. Aubin-Mercier puts together a combo to end the round. The round ends, we give it to Aubin-Mercier for landing more strikes and for the take down.
- ROUND 2 – A head kick by Aubin-Mercier that stuns Martin to start off the round. A take down attempt by Aubin-Mercier which he gets. Martin is now pinned against the cage. Aubin-Mercier landing some strikes while Martin is trying to defend. Martin gets up however Aubin-Mercier takes him right back down. The round ends with Aubin-Mercier on top of Martin. We give this round to Aubin-Mercier once again for his control on the ground as well as more effective striking,
- ROUND 3 – The third round starts with Martin coming out aggressive. Aubin-Mercier attempting a take down which he doesn’t get, however he attempts it again and succeeds. Martin has Aubin-Mercier in a Guillotine choke however Aubin-Mercier defends well and escapes. Martin then ends up on top of Aubin-Mercier. Both fighters on the ground. Martin attempting to gain control by attempting submissions. Martin gets Aubin-Mercier’s back and is attempting a Rear Naked Choke. Aubin-Mercier doing a good job defending it thus far. The round ends, we give this round to Martin for his control of Aubin-Mercier throughout the round with his grappling and submission attempts. We give the fight to Aubin-Mercier 29-28. Judges Decide: 29-28 Martin, 29-28 Aubin-Mercier, 29-28 for the winner by split decision Olivier Aubin-Mercier. Fight Rate: 3/5
- ROUND 1 – The fight starts off, Hamilton goes for a left hook, Spitz counters it landing a right hook of his own that drops Hamilton. Spitz then takes Hamilton’s back and starts landing heavy punches to Hamilton’s head. The referee jumps in to stop the fight as Hamilton wasn’t defending himself and looks to be out. Daniel Spitz wins by TKO at 0:24 of Round 1. Fight Rate: 4/5
- ROUND 1 – Both fighters starting out aggressive! An upper cut thrown by Jotko lands on Hall’s head. Jotko seems to be controlling majority of the round by engaging on Hall whereas Hall is counter punching. An uppercut lands by Jotko that stuns Hall. Jotko continues to land uppercuts that then drops Hall. Hall gets back up however Jotko is still delivering uppercuts. Jotko then takes Hall down and is landing continuous blows onto Hall. Jotko then gets Hall’s back and is attempting submission. Jotko doesn’t get it however continues to delivery blows to Jotko’s head. Jotko then sinks in a submission that drops Hall however Hall fights the take down. Jotko ends up in full mount and is raining down punches. Hall reveres it and gets back up. 30 seconds to go. Hall lands a big hook that stuns Jotko. The round ends. We give this round to Jotko for his dominance.
- ROUND 2 – Hall comes out aggressive to start the second round. An uppercut lands by Jotko to Hall once again. A right hook by Hall that drops Jotko!! Hall jumps in and lands a few punches. The referee jumps in and ends the fight! Uriah Hall wins by KO at 2:25 of Round 2. Fight Rate: 4/5
- ROUND 1 – And we’re off! Both fighters start the first minute feeling each other out. No significant strikes thus far. Burns seems to be landing more strikes, being the aggressor in the fight so far. Burns attempts a take down, doesn’t get it however lands a knee to Saggo’s face as Saggo is trying to escape. Burns goes for a body kick, Saggo catches it and takes Burns down. Nothing comes from the take down as Burns gets back up and attempts a take down. He gets it and has Saggo down against the cage. 20 seconds to go. The horn blows. We give this round to Burns for controlling the round due to his striking and take downs.
- ROUND 2 – Saggo starts the second round aggressive with jabs and kicks. Saggo finding a home for his body kicks. Burns attempts a body kick which is caught by Saggo and Saggo takes Burns down once again. Nothing comes from it as the referee stands Burns up. Burns starts coming out a bit more aggressive to change the momentum landing some kicks and jabs. Burns goes for a take down again and slams Saggo to the mat. Burns has Saggo pinned up against the cage. Burns landing some strikes as Saggo tries to escape. Saggo does get back up and both fighters are back in the centre of the Octagon. Burns lands a big knee to Saggo’s face. Saggo responds back with a jab. Both fighters exchanging strikes. Burns lands a big right hook that knocks Saggo out! Gilbert Burns wins by KO at 4:55 of Round 2. Fight Rate: 4/5